[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sun Nov 19 02:44:18 UTC 2006

Marco Nelissen wrote:
> I have 512MB and it's a combined front/back end. I read that mythtv
> requires 256MB, so I figured I'd double that and be extra-safe. Would
> adding more memory help in any way with channel-change speed?

Probably not, would be my guess.

I just tried it on my 256 megabyte machine.  It took 1-2 seconds to
change channels, once I hit ENTER on the remote.  Usually the video was
frozen during that time.  Startup of Live TV took longer, and was a
little excessive (around 10 seconds, but I didn't time it.)

It's odd that some people are seeing longer times than others.  Part of
it may be system complexity.  I'm not doing anything fancy -- no HDTV,
no set-top box to communicate with, nothing like that.