[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Nov 18 19:36:01 UTC 2006

On Nov 18, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Marco Nelissen wrote:

>> On Nov 18, 2006, at 10:55 AM, Marco Nelissen wrote:
>>

>>> Didn't somebody else say yesterday that high-def channel changes
>>> were slow,
>>> while analog channel changes are fast? Maybe we're on to something
>>> here.
>>> Question: is there anyone whose digital/HD channel changes are
>>> under 3 seconds?
>>
>> My PVR-350 and HD-5500 change channels at almost exactly the same
>> speed. 2-3 seconds each.
>
> Well there goes *that* theory then... :(

Maybe not. In both cases you are reading an mpeg stream, and lock-up
time will be influenced by things like bitrate and waiting for an I-
Frame to happen by etc.

There are a lot of variables, some of which are within the control of
the Myth user and some are not (we can control the mpeg created by a
PVR card to some extent, but are at the mercy of the program supplier
in the case of digital sources).

The lockup time for the various STBs are a factor as well, my Myth
system changes channels faster than my satellite receivers can do so.

But in any case this thread is getting out of hand. If anybody truly
thinks a TiVo is better,  the solution is obvious, but I wouldn't go
back to one for any reason.