[mythtv-users] Subject: Fast-Forward speed limitations?

McNally mcnallychris at pobox.com
Sat Nov 18 14:10:11 UTC 2006

 >From: Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca>
 >Subject: [mythtv-users] Fast-Forward speed limitations?
 >
 >I find I cannot reliably Fast Forward more than 3X. For 5X and more, I
get
 >about a dozen samples (steps?) and then the picture stops. Pausing and
 >Unpausing starts about half-way through what was FFed before the
stoppage.
I>'ve pushed it a few times, with FF and RW, and Myth will wake up from its
 >freeze, but if I do it enough Myth gets totally hosed to where I have to
 >kill it.

 >Is this a hardware limitation (too slow to keep up seeking and feeding
the
 >display stream from disk) or Myth getting befuddled?

I had this problem on my similar Fedora Core 4 system. Removing the
nvidia drivers and installing the version recommended in the wiki
(1.0.8756) cleared this up and now i can fast forward up to 120x. I am
using  ivtv version 0.7.0 which is pretty current for my kernel.  I am
not using any fancy video options, such as  XvMC. However the XvMC wiki
page has info about nvidia drivers.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC
          As of 2006-04-7, the currently recommended driver version is:
*1.0.8756* as it fixes the OpenGL Vsync
<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php?title=OpenGL_Vsync&action=edit>
issues present in earlier versions, as well as fixing the AGP + XvMC
issues on 6200 series cards.