[mythtv-users] Comcast Digital HD and HDTV-5500

Brian Beaty brian at 68k.org
Sat Nov 18 08:20:09 UTC 2006

I'm a Comcast Digital/HD subscriber in the Fresno, CA area. I got
myth 0.20 up and running via Firewire to the DCT6200 that Comcast
gives out as their HD STB. It tuned 85% of my channels (pretty much
all but in-demand, PPV, and HD versions of subscription channels).
Probably ~150 digital channels, and nearly 100 analog channels total.

After 3 firewire chipsets, I gave up on it, I couldn't get a reliable
setup via firewire. The best I could get was about a 50% success rate
with recording, the rest of the time the Firewire port would just
fail to get any data or fail to change the channel. From all the
research I could find, this was "common" with firewire setups (of
course, most of the people that write to the mailing list, or post on
net are doing so trying to answer problems they have), and I suspect
it's more a failing of the DCT6200 than linux firewire support. The
firewire issues are not the subject of this letter, however...

So I decided to sink a bit of money into it, and got a pcHDTV 5500
card. I studied the wiki carefully (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/
index.php/Adding_Digital_Cable_Channels_%28For_ATSC/QAM_Tuner_Cards_--
_USA/Canada%29) The driver installed fine, Myth picks it up fine.
Scanning channels, I get 210 distinct QAM256 channels (which is
pretty darn close to what my subscription has).

Some other research on pcHDTV's forums revealed that Comcast strips
out all channel/program info, so all 210 channels show up as
"Unknown". No big deal. I sat down for 3 hours, going through them in
Live TV mode, and editing the channel information.

Out of the 210 channels, only 31 had any signal, and of those 31,
only 22 of them actually matched up to anything on my subscription
list (9 mystery or bonus channels, depending on how you look at it).
The other 177 channels were black background with a small blue square
in the lower right hand corner.

I understand that QAM-capable tuner cards can't decode encrypted (5c)
digital channels. I also was under the impression that Firewire
couldn't pass these channels through either. So ~150 channels via
firewire, and only 31 via the 5500, it doesn't quite add up. I also
can't get NTSC signals via Myth at all (they work fine via tvtime on /
dev/video). Supposedly the DVB driver supports this, but scanning /
dev/video with myth, and it doesn't even attempt to scan, it just
skips right to an empty scan list.

Also interesting to note, is that mythtv's scanner finds 210 QAM
channels, linuxtv's dvb apps scan detects 243 QAM channels, and the
dtvscan util from pcHDTV finds 252. None of them list any signal
strength or channel info, but from what I can tell, this is a bug
with DVB support in the 2.6.18 kernel, and Comcast stripping all
program information.

I  could get all channels if I use the CATV or S-Video output on the
DCT6200 (assuming I can stumble upon getting NTSC working in myth),
set the 5500 up to just record NTSC Ch3, and use 6200ch (or an IR
blaster, but that would be even more money...) to change the
channels; I get all my subscribed channels (even encrypted ones), but
I lose HD, still have to go via the STB, and I could have just gotten
a $30 capture card rather than a full-blown QAM-compatible HD tuner
card - so I'd rather not do this.

For the purposes of troubleshooting, I've connected the tuner card
straight to my cable outlet, with no other devices or splitters on my
cable line. I'm running Fedora Core 5, Kernel 2.6.18.2239, with the
latest 5500 drivers compiled and installed from pcHDTV's site. Myth
0.20-144 from the atrpms distro.

Any advice on getting this 5500 working, or should I ebay it and head
back via either the firewire/STB output route?

-bb