[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Sat Nov 18 02:54:59 UTC 2006

On Friday 17 November 2006 16:27, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Nov 17, 2006, at 4:17 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> >> Pausing and playing LiveTV isn't what I hear folks complaining about,
> >> it's more the non-instantaneous channel change.
> >
> > And as a sideline issue, even with 2 tuners and both on using PiP
> > there's
> > still a wait.
>
> Of course, it's not buffering the PiP channel (I don't think).
>
> You could use the PiP capability of your TV set to watch a live tuner
> in the window, and then switch to that instantly if you wanted to.
> Useful for a breaking news story I suppose.
>
> No system will make everybody happy about every feature, but Myth
> comes closer than anything else I have seen.

Mythweb says I'm recording, and I do have two MPGs being recorded as I
watch 2 hockey games. Come to think of it they'd have to be recorded,
because Myth doesn't do anything straight-through from the tuner to
video - the whole PVR model with disk as an intermediary.

Actually I don't have a TV and haven't for years. I figured I could skip
the whole TV thing by doing a PVR all on one machine.