[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Nov 17 23:12:59 UTC 2006

On Nov 17, 2006, at 3:59 PM, Viitasaari wrote:

> I have been listening to all you folks weigh in on how you watch TV
> and
> you all make a great case for your style of watching.  However, it
> still
> does not take away from the fact that there are a lot of channel
> surfers
> out there who like to pause and play live TV.
>
> I would think that it goes against the rules of systems analysis to
> not
> acknowledge this when developing a PVR.

Pausing and playing LiveTV isn't what I hear folks complaining about,
it's more the non-instantaneous channel change.

The fact is that Myth couldn't do what it does if it had instant
channel changes, life is always full of tradeoffs, and I wouldn't
want to give up the benefits of Myth for something that doesn't
bother me at all.

And, as was pointed out, you can just watch a live tuner if you want
to surf, but I'd rather "surf" the EPG. Surfing channels is most
likely to land you in the middle of a commercial break anyway, so you
need the OSD to tell you what you are watching anyway.

It's like the new way of handling live recordings, some people had a
problem with it, but most liked it.