[mythtv-users] Fast-Forward speed limitations?

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Fri Nov 17 22:03:09 UTC 2006

I find I cannot reliably Fast Forward more than 3X. For 5X and more, I get
about a dozen samples (steps?) and then the picture stops. Pausing and
Unpausing starts about half-way through what was FFed before the stoppage.
I've pushed it a few times, with FF and RW, and Myth will wake up from its
freeze, but if I do it enough Myth gets totally hosed to where I have to
kill it.

Is this a hardware limitation (too slow to keep up seeking and feeding the
display stream from disk) or Myth getting befuddled?

I am running 0.20-144 on FC5.
The box is a Sempron 3100+, 512M RAM, some 80G disk (I think Hitachi) with
DMA on and acoustic management turned off (about 3MB/s more throughput),
and nVidia GeForce 6100 using 128M RAM, with their drivers.

Could this be affected by using the ondemand cpufreq governor? I figured it
would be a good idea to use this to let my CPU run cooler and last longer.
I have it set up to throttle-up at 20% CPU load, which looked to me to be
the average load when mythfrontend is running.

[And while I'm here, thanks very much to all you friendly people that have
answered my questions already. It's been a great part of my Myth
experience, the list community.]