[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Melvin J. Cureton melvincureton at MELCRYS.COM
Fri Nov 17 19:06:55 UTC 2006

The time delay isn't big deal when you consider that a lot of provider supplied DVR's have a few second delay when changing channels for the same reason.

Thank You
Melvin Cureton
melvincureton at melcrys.com

________________________________

From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org on behalf of Brad DerManouelian
Sent: Fri 11/17/2006 1:13 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

On Nov 17, 2006, at 9:52 AM, Viitasaari wrote:

> Ladies & Gentlemen:
>
> I have recently joined the ranks of individuals with working MythTV
> boxes.
>
> After actually using it I realized that it takes 2-3 seconds of
> garbled
> presentation for a channel change.

I don't get "garbled presentation". Just a pause until the buffer has
enough to continue showing the channel it just changed to.

> I have since spent some time reading message boards, FAQ's and
> documentation on MythTV and apparently this is a common quirk which
> the
> majority of MythTV users don't even notice because they do
> scheduling &
> recording as opposed to watching LiveTV.

I don't believe any of the developers actually use LiveTV. If so, not
very often at all. This explains why it's not a high priority for them.

> I know everyone has their own ideas regarding the definition of a PVR
> and a DVR and correct me if I am wrong but the use case for a PVR
> would
> be as follows:
>
> User happily watching TV.
> User is distracted by an event in his/her living space(phone ringing,
> soup boiling over etc.)
> User pauses TV
> User deals with distraction
> User un-pauses TV
> User subsequently fast-forwards through the commercials.
>
> Where I am going with this is that in imitating the functionality of a
> TIVO, Freevo will not do it at all and MythTV does it but the channel
> changing problem really showcases how MythTV is not there yet.

I do this all the time. The 1-2 second delay doesn't bother me in the
least. It's actually more like 3 seconds for me when coupled with
network latency and the time it takes my STB to actually change the
channel. However, I'm not a channel-flipper. If it comes down to
watching Live TV, I initiate it, then immediately go to the program
guide (it's even an option to display this by default when entering
LiveTV). I browse through the guide and see what I want to watch. I
don't need the visuals and noise to help me decide if I want to watch
a program or not. The title/description is enough.

> Now, I would love to help fix the problem as long as everyone can
> agree
> that it is a serious one.

Waiting 2-3 seconds to watch a program isn't "serious" to me. A more
"serious" issue would be to add in the ability to resolve LiveTV
conflicts. If one person is watching LiveTV on a tuner, it should
give you the ability to watch the same program they are from a
different Front End. Or if all tuners are occupied, I'd like it to
prompt you that no tuners are available and present a list of
programs that are currently recording and allow you to pick one of
them or return to the main menu. Possibly give the option of
canceling any of the recordings and use that tuner for LiveTV.