[mythtv-users] Totally OT - but need help wit RAID5 array

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Fri Nov 17 18:16:47 UTC 2006

> Crud.
>
> Try:
>
> mdadm --assemble --run --verbose /dev/md0 /dev/hdb /dev/hdc
>
> Nick

Crud is right... :-(

[root at storage /]# mdadm --assemble --run --verbose /dev/md0 /dev/hdb /dev/hdc
mdadm: looking for devices for /dev/md0
mdadm: /dev/hdb is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 3.
mdadm: /dev/hdc is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 1.
mdadm: no uptodate device for slot 0 of /dev/md0
mdadm: no uptodate device for slot 2 of /dev/md0
mdadm: added /dev/hdb to /dev/md0 as 3
mdadm: added /dev/hdc to /dev/md0 as 1
mdadm: failed to RUN_ARRAY /dev/md0: Input/output error
[root at storage /]# fsck /dev/md0
fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
e2fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
fsck.ext2: Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/md0

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

[root at storage /]#

I did not try the last command. Should I try it? Would it be:
e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/md0

I'm starting to fear all hope is lost on recovering anything, which
really sucks...

Other suggestions?

Thanks,
James