[mythtv-users] firewire with 3250

Eric Smith erictsmith at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 17:12:09 UTC 2006

Just thinking out loud here....  I to have a 3250HD box with firewire
working fairly reliablly as long as i stay within the non 5c channels.
 However, I'm also feeding an s-video stream from the same cable box
for channels which are not available over the firewire connection.  So
quite frequently i will hit one of those channels that the firewire
connection can not recover from.  Typically when i see this i just
unplug the firewire from the cable box for a few seconds, plug it back
in and everything is up and running again.  Unfortunately, this is not
good for the WAF when I'm not around to notice and Grey's Anatomy
records as an empty file.

So my thought is, there are several versions of scripts out there now
that can be used to "prime" the firewire connection and make sure it
is available.  I haven't used them myself yet, but assuming they are
not too resource/time consuming... would it be possible to set it up
to always check the connection and rerun one of these types of scripts
before changing the channel to something on the firewire input?

And a follow-up (perhaps wish-list thought).  Is there a way (or could
there be) to associate an HD channel to its equivalent non hd channel.
 So in the example above, myth starts the recording of Grey's Anatomy
on the HD channel.... immediately recognizes that the firewire
connection is not available and switches the recording the the non HD
equivalent.

Like i said... just thinking out loud.