[mythtv-users] lirc + PVR150 + "universal remote" (newbie-ish question)

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Nov 17 16:03:50 UTC 2006

I posted this on the lirc-users mailing list, but haven't heard anything back.  In fact, that list is very quiet in comparison to this list.  I apologize if this is not directly MythTV related, but it is in an indirect way.  I'm just finalizing the MythTV setup to completely pass the "wife" test and I was hoping to make some headway with this last step..

I've done some digging around, but I wasn't able to come up with a decent answer.  So, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I currently have a PVR-150 with the IR receiver and lirc functioning using the Hauppauge remote with no problems (under MythTV).  However, I was considering trying to get our RCA universal remote (the one that came with the satellite receiver) to work with lirc.

The newbie part is that I am not truly confident that I am doing things correctly.  I realize that the PVR-150's IR receiver only understands the RC-5 protocol, so I thought it would be possible to pick an RC-5 device on the universal remote (let's say, a Phillips TV or something).

Then, I'd run irrecord -d /dev/lirc /tmp/x to create a new recording, but I'm getting nothing.  :(

I'm wondering if I am going about this all wrong....

-Rich