[mythtv-users] Nvidia help

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Nov 16 21:35:29 UTC 2006

Matthias Thyroff wrote:

>Hi Yan,
>
>that sounds like a real mess! Not the most geeky suggestion, but: Have
>you tried it in Windows? (There is a product called "BartPE"
>www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ with it you can build a windows xp that boots from
>CD).
>
>Have you tried to start X with SVGA driver?
>
>Remove all PCI cards and try again: some IRQ conflict? Also disable
>onboard periphery.
>
>Try to boot with the kernel parameters "apci=off noapci".
>
>Try to start memtest: maybe a memory problem? (remove a ram module, try,
>try with the other one).
>
>Maybe it is a defective MoBo. Is it new? Warranty?

Well, the system runs just fine with the xorg nv driver.  It's an issue
with the evil nvidia binary driver for sure.....

It's been my main home workstation for a couple of months with no
problems (except the above) so I don't think it's hardware....

I've tried with acpi=off noapic and all that.  Same result.

I suspect it's some weird interaction between kernel and nvidia
drivers.....  My next step will be to downgrade kernels to something
older than the 2.6.18 I am running....

--Yan