[mythtv-users] PVR 350 TV Out Closed Caption and CPU Usage

Rajeev Goonewardene fedora at ready2think.com
Thu Nov 16 20:45:05 UTC 2006

Hello All,

I have MythTV (0.20 - latest from atrpms) setup on a Fedora Core 5
(Celeron 2.8Ghz/512 MB Ram).  I have 2 capture cards, a PVR 350 and a
PVR 150.  Everything with recording and playback works fine.  I have
two issues that I have seen on many newsgroups but not found an
answer to.

1.  I noticed that the CPU usage of mythfrontend is around 40% to 50%
when playing back a recording or watching live tv however when I turn
on the program guide (which is transparent so I can see the tv
program behind it) - the CPU usage is around 2%. Does anyone have any
idea about this one ?  This is similar to the post:
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2006-September/050963.html

2.  I was trying to get closed captioning passing through the pvr
350's TV out so that my television's closed captioning can read it -
In mythtvsetup->General, I set the vbi format to ntsc and ensured
that both cards were able to read the captions using the vbi tool
zvbi-ntsc-cc  from the ivtv site (they both worked).  Then I ran the
'ivtvctl  --device=/dev/video0 -w cc' (video0 is my pvr 350) command
and sure enough when I started watching TV - the captions showed up
but they were garbled (writing on top of each other and weird colors
too)... Here's the funny thing, much like my problem above (1) - when
I turn on the program guide, the captions are perfect!

Could anyone shed any light for me on these issues ?

Thank You,

Rajeev.