[mythtv-users] Totally OT - but need help wit RAID5 array

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Thu Nov 16 20:20:32 UTC 2006

On Thu Nov 16, 2006 at 03:02:16PM -0500, James Pifer wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 19:47 +0000, Robin Hill wrote:
> > Oh dear, that doesn't look good :(  Are you getting any disk errors in
> > /proc/dmesg?
> >

> It's not good. See below. In my searching about this problem I found
> some references to people using a Windows program called Winhex to
> recover data from drives, even RAID drives. What are the chances I could
> recover anything that way? Even just some of the stuff?

Well, your basic problem is that the disk would look to be hosed.  I'd
recommend stopping the RAID array (mdadm -S /dev/md0) and using dd (or,
even better, dd_rescue/dd-rhelp
http://www.kalysto.org/utilities/dd_rhelp/index.en.html) to copy
/dev/hdb to /dev/hdd.  You can then assemble the array using /dev/hdc
and /dev/hdd and try fscking it again.  I've managed to recover a failed
drive using this method before (though that wasn't in a RAID array).

Cheers,
        Robin
--
     ___