[mythtv-users] Scaling HD content for SD screen

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Thu Nov 16 16:17:31 UTC 2006

I've recently dipped my toes in the HD water, and while for the most
part I am extremely pleased, I did notice one thing that isn't great,
and I'm not sure if there is anything I can do. Basically any recorded
HD content is not scaled correctly, in that I do see a letterbox effect,
but the left portion of the display is cut off by about 5%, and the
right is cutoff by probably 25-30%. By cutoff, I mean the image fills
the full width of the screen, but it's not the actual full width of the
feed. If I view it on my desktop (running 1024x768) the full width image
is there, when it runs through the TV (800x600) it displays the cropped
image. The TV display is a 5200, running VGA into a converter that
outputs component to the TV.

Thoughts on how I can get the full width image to display on the TV?

Thanks
Tom