[mythtv-users] Nvidia GeForce and Mythtv

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Thu Nov 16 15:14:23 UTC 2006

Richard Holgate wrote:
> I've also recently installed a GeForce 6200 on a ASUS A7V600-X
> motherboard (VIA chipset) and was seeing freezes while using the tv
> out for video playback. It affected both mplayer and mythtv. Fixed it
> by setting Option NvAGP "2" (meaning use AGPGART, don't use NVIDIA
> AGP) in xorg.conf (tried a lot of other things before getting to
> that). Option NvAGP "0" (i.e. AGP disabled) also worked for me tho, so
> take this advice with a grain of salt I guess. Worth a shot maybe.

I have had similar problems with the nvidia driver on a GeForce 6200 +
MachSpeed Viper K8M8MS motherboard (VIA chipset).  I didn't know about
setting NvAGP to "2", so I had mine set to "0" which all but eliminated
the problems while sacrificing the benefits of the 6200. :(

I came across a posting on another list
(http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=USB&card=Generic&chip=Generic&module=usb-audio)
which might help those looking for a description of what the different
values for NvAgp represent.  The posting was in reference to something
else entirely, but part of the contents are relative to this particular
discussion.

As posted by Patrick Shirkey(pshirkey_at_boosthardware.com):
> <..snip..>
> Put this in /etc/XF86Config
>
> Option "NvAgp" "2"  # use AGPGART (0=noagp, 1=NvAgp, 2= AGPART)
> <..snip..>

The rest of that particular posting is similar to the information in
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Nvidia-OpenGL-Configuration/instnvidia.html,
but I think that page is a bit dated.

I hope this helps. :)

-Rich