[mythtv-users] Enhancement request: Per-channel transcoding settings

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Nov 16 05:08:59 UTC 2006

I'd love to be able to specify a default transcode profile for each
channel. Whether through mythtv-setup's channel editor, MythWeb's
MythTV channel info page, or both, I envision being able to choose
"Autodetect," "High Quality," etc. for each channel. In this context,
within Post Recording Processing|Transcode using, a new "Default"
choice (also the preset) would use whatever setting the channel
has. Of course the other transcode profiles can be manually specified
here as well.

Why would this be useful? Because the current system of one default
transcode profile doesn't cover all situations. I typically use "High
Quality" (which I've edited to serve as a 1080i deinterlacing
no-resize profile) for 1080i programs, "Medium Quality" (a
non-deinterlacing, no-resize profile at a lower bitstream) or
"Autodetect" for 720p programs, and "Low Quality" (a deinterlacing,
no-resize profile at a very low bitstream) or "Autodetect" for
standard-definition programs. In other words, the transcode profile I
want to use will typically be consistent for each program in a
specific channel.