[mythtv-users] Serial port add on cards

jim scott jimdscott at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 14:04:44 UTC 2006

n 11/14/06, jeff <news at propixs.com> wrote:

>  Jim Miller wrote:
>
> jim scott wrote:
>
>  I've been following this thread
> <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/234714> <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/234714>on
> controlling 2 STBs with 1 serial port. I can buy a Linux compatible
> serial port add on card from Rosewill
> <http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16815166003> <http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16815166003>for
> $10. Both the more recent thread and this thread from May
> <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/206583?search_string=serial%2520ports;#206583> <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/206583?search_string=serial%2520ports;#206583>
> complain about Startech serial port cards.
>
> Are there any known issues controlling a DirecTV STB through a add-on
> serial port card using the directv.pl script? The previous threads
> look like Startech or lirc issues.
>
>  I don't know about the Rosewill card, but I had problems with a StarTech
> card and a Siig card.  The  cards were recognized and blocks added, but
> I couldn't get them to work properly.  I now use the onboard serial port
> and two USB to serial port adapters (I believe one is from Sabrent and
> the other is from Iogear) to control 3 DTV boxes with no problems
> whatsoever.
>
> Jim
>

> Does this mean that you aren't using lirc for the usb to serial adapters?
> I thought  lirc didn't use the serial device in the standard way so the
> adapters didn't work?
>
> Jeff

I use lirc for my remote control input, but not for controlling my DirecTV
set top box. Right now I'm using my PC's serial port to connect to the low
speed data port on my STB. I use the directv.pl script to control the STB. I
just needed to add the script to my mythbackend setup so the Myth knows how
to change the channel for me. I think I can control a second STB if I add a
PCI serial port card or use a USB to serial converter.