[mythtv-users] S/PDIF support for Intel HDA Realtek ALC880?

Kashan Jafri kashan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 03:03:59 UTC 2006

On 11/14/06, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/13/06, Peter Carlsson <maillist.peter at home.se> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I am trying to get S/PDIF working for my onboard Intel HDA
> > Realtek ALC880 sound device. I am running Debian (testing)
> > and alsa 1.0.13.
> >
> > Could someone tell me if this is supported for my hardware
> > or what I should do to make it work?
> <snip>
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Asoundrc_alc850
>
> should work with the 880 as well.
>
> --
> Steve
> Before you ask, read the FAQ!
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions
> then search the Wiki, and this list,
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/

On my board (MSI K8NGM2-FID) I could never get it to work when trying to use
ALSA in myth, mplayer, or xine. What did the trick was enabling OSS
emulation in ALSA and using OSS support in myth. I just set the device to
/dev/dsp, enabled ac3/dts passthrough, and it's worked perfectly since. This
is on Gentoo with alsa 1.0.12. I haven't had a chance to look into why this
works, but I've read that there is something different about the device
number for the SPDIF output that is used for this chipset. Also, be sure
that the iec958 output is unmuted in alsamixer.

Kash