[mythtv-users] nuvexport ridiculously slow

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 20:25:45 UTC 2006

On 11/14/06, Jeff Simpson <jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu> wrote:
> > Try running it without the noise reduction. I can't see any real
> > improvement in quality with noise reduction, and a significant
> > improvement in speed without it.
>
> Without the noise reduction, I'm now seeing about 14fps. I have no way
> of knowing if that is reasonable, since I never swayed from the
> default options back when I was getting the same speed with the noise
> reduction on. Is 14fps reasonable for an athlon 3200XP with a gig and
> a half of ram? Obviously there are a lot of factors there, but I just
> want to see if I'm in the right ballpark now, since I still get <3fps
> with the noise filtering on.

Here's what I get when using nuvexport on a file that's already been
autotranscoded (recorded on PVR-250, transcoded with auto-detect; 30
min. show, orig size 1.1GB, transcoded size 380M):

Settings are:
Export to XviD
Enable Myth cutlist? [Yes]
Enable noise reduction (slower, but better results)? no
Enable deinterlacing? [Yes] yes
Crop broadcast overscan border (0-5%) ? [2]
Audio bitrate? [128]
Variable bitrate video? [Yes]
Multi-pass (slower, but better quality)? [Yes]
Video bitrate? [960]
Default resolution based on 4:3 aspect ratio.
Width? [624]
Height? [464]

first pass: 22-24 fps
second pass: 20-22 fps

This is on a P4 2.5 GHz, 512 RAM that is not my MBE and not doing
anything particularly demanding at the time. My MBE has similar specs
and runs nuvexport with similar speed unless it's recording, com
flagging, or transcoding, which drops nuvexport to around 10-14 fps.