[mythtv-users] converting mythconverg database - do I need to do it ???

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 14 19:11:24 UTC 2006

On 11/14/2006 02:00 PM, Stephen Kitchener wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 Nov 2006 17:19, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 11/14/2006 12:04 PM, Stephen Kitchener wrote:
>>
>>> I have moved a database, ie the files under /var/lib/mysql/ from a
>>> running .19 to a running .20 system, and while it is working and I can
>>> see all my previous recording and it appears to be scheduling correctly,
>>> I am concerned to know if there is anything that I need to have
>>> completed.
>>>
>>> The old system was on Fedora 4 and was using .19 and the new system is on
>>> Fedora 5 and using .20.  The other differences are the version of mysql
>>> has gone from 4 to 5 on fedora 5.
>>>
>>> Do I still need to convert my database, is there a way to test to see if
>>> it has been converted, ie via mysql for instance, extra fields in the
>>> records perhaps ??
>>>
>> I'll leave the whole MySQL data files part alone.  As for the MythTV
>> database, upon starting mythtv-setup, mythbackend, or mythfrontend, a
>> database upgrade is performed automatically when necessary.  To prove to
>> yourself that it worked, you should see something like:
>>
>> 2006-11-03 16:21:47.360 Current Schema Version: xxxx
>>
>> in the log output upon starting one of these programs.  As long as you
>> don't see something about a failed DB upgrade along with it, you're good
>> to go.  In the logs from the first time you started after the upgrade,
>> you'd see something about "upgrading schema", too.
>>
> I get "Current Schema Version: 1160"
>
> but I don't get anything like "upgrading schema" though.
>
> Is 1160 the correct one for .20 ??

Technically, no.

0.20 uses schema version 1158.
0.20-fixes uses schema version 1158, 1159, or 1160, depending on which
revision was current when the code was checked out.
SVN trunk has used schema versions 1158 through 1167 since 0.20 was
released.

This is why I didn't give you a version number.  The important part is
that you do /not/ see a message about a failed DB upgrade ("Database
Schema upgrade FAILED, unlocking.") every time you start mythtv-setup,
mythbackend, or mythfrontend.  If you don't, you have the current schema
version.  And, since you don't see it, your database schema was upgraded.

Mike