[mythtv-users] cannot open /dev/video0

Matt Rude mythtv-users at mattrude.com
Tue Nov 14 19:08:42 UTC 2006

Abigail Smith wrote:

> I installed Knoppix-Myth on a 2 ghz pc with pvr-350.  I ran "cat
> /dev/video0 > /tmp/aa.mpg" and got "/dev/video0: no such device".
> # ls -l  /dev/video0 tho does show the device file.
>
> The installation was done as root.
>
> Rsvp & thanks,
>
> Abby
>
> */Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>/* wrote:
>
>     On Nov 14, 2006, at 9:18 AM, Abigail Smith wrote:
>
>     >
>     > Sorry for this newbie question... I'm unable to get myth working.
>     > The box recognizes my hauppauge 350 but I still get the error
>     > "cannot open /dev/video0 to probe its inputs".
>     >
>     > Can someone give me some troubleshooting advice? Where do I even
>     > start troubleshooting this?
>     >
>     > Thanks,
>     >
>     > Abby
>
>     "probe its inputs" sounds like you're trying to run mythtv-setup when
>     you get this error? Try running it as root. It's easier than setting
>     udev rules for permissions and works for most people (re: Jarod's
>     Guide).

Abigail-
If you can't list /dev/video0 then it's not a permission problems (sorry
guys) is a driver problem.
1st what do you see when you do a ls -l /dev/vide* do you see a
/dev/video1 file or anything like that?
2nd conferm you have the ivtv driver installed on your system that is
the same version as your kernel (I'm on Fedora so I don't know what
version Knoppix is on.)
3rd look at your modprobe (/etc/modprobe.conf) do you have the ivtv setup?
4th what happens when you run:  (as root)
//sbin/depmod -a
/sbin/modprobe ivtv

/Look in /var/log/message and see if you have any ivtv errors.

Thanks
-Matt