[mythtv-users] cannot open /dev/video0

Abigail Smith abigailsweetashoneyandgigglelots at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 19:05:52 UTC 2006

  So we agree that "cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/a.mpg" should work?  Is it possible that the device is wrong?  What other device should I try to use?

  I'm doing this as root.

  Thanks!

  Abby

Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

On Nov 14, 2006, at 11:48 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2006, at 10:41 AM, Abigail Smith wrote:
>

>> I installed Knoppix-Myth on a 2 ghz pc with pvr-350. I ran "cat /
>> dev/video0 > /tmp/aa.mpg" and got "/dev/video0: no such device".
>>
>> # ls -l /dev/video0 tho does show the device file.
>>
>> The installation was done as root.
>>
>> Rsvp & thanks,
>>
>> Abby
>
> Yes, but you're not trying to access /dev/video0 as root. You've got
> a permission issue. You can either change permissions on /dev/video0
> with udev rules or use root to perform any functions on /dev/video0.

I agree it's almost certainly a permission issue, thus the cat
command will fail if not executed as root.

But a KnoppMyth installation shouldn't have permission problems if
performed according to instructions, at least Myth should run OK,
even if the "cat" does not. The user running the backend should be
able to access the device (that might be root, not familiar with
KnoppMyth enough to be sure.

So he probably has a more fundamental problem, and should triple-
check his installation procedure.

I'd also consider posting this problem on the KnoppMyth forum, after
checking the archives thereof for the same problem.