[mythtv-users] cannot open /dev/video0

Abigail Smith abigailsweetashoneyandgigglelots at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 18:41:49 UTC 2006

  I installed Knoppix-Myth on a 2 ghz pc with pvr-350.  I ran "cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/aa.mpg" and got "/dev/video0: no such device".

  # ls -l  /dev/video0 tho does show the device file.

  The installation was done as root.

  Rsvp & thanks,

  Abby

Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
  On Nov 14, 2006, at 9:18 AM, Abigail Smith wrote:

> Sorry for this newbie question... I'm unable to get myth working.
> The box recognizes my hauppauge 350 but I still get the error
> "cannot open /dev/video0 to probe its inputs".
>
> Can someone give me some troubleshooting advice? Where do I even
> start troubleshooting this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Abby

"probe its inputs" sounds like you're trying to run mythtv-setup when
you get this error? Try running it as root. It's easier than setting
udev rules for permissions and works for most people (re: Jarod's
Guide).