[mythtv-users] Serial port add on cards

Jim Miller jgroups at greenstonefarm.com
Tue Nov 14 18:05:31 UTC 2006

jim scott wrote:
> I've been following this thread
> <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/234714>on
> controlling 2 STBs with 1 serial port. I can buy a Linux compatible
> serial port add on card from Rosewill
> <http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16815166003>for
> $10. Both the more recent thread and this thread from May
> <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/206583?search_string=serial%2520ports;#206583>
> complain about Startech serial port cards.
>
> Are there any known issues controlling a DirecTV STB through a add-on
> serial port card using the directv.pl script? The previous threads
> look like Startech or lirc issues.

I don't know about the Rosewill card, but I had problems with a StarTech
card and a Siig card.  The  cards were recognized and blocks added, but
I couldn't get them to work properly.  I now use the onboard serial port
and two USB to serial port adapters (I believe one is from Sabrent and
the other is from Iogear) to control 3 DTV boxes with no problems
whatsoever.

Jim