[mythtv-users] Problem Connecting To Database

Tom Purl tom at tompurl.com
Tue Nov 14 17:40:56 UTC 2006

> Tom Purl wrote:
>> Here's my problem:  when I try and start mythbackend
>> (sudo /etc/init.d/mythbackend start) , I get the following error
>> messasge
>> in /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log:
>>
>>     QSqlQuery::exec: database not open
>>     QSqlQuery::exec: database not open
>>
> Did you just recently upgrade mysql from V4 to V5?  You need to rebuild
> Qt against the new mysql shared images.  Since mythtv requires Qt3, you
> probably need to reinstall both Qt V3 and V4.  revdep-rebuild should
> figure this out.

Here's what I ended up doing:

* Wiped out the db and deleted all of my videos
    * I really didn't want to do this, but I really didn't have that
      much content in the first place so it wasn't that painful.
* Installed the currently stable version of mythtv from portage
  (0.19_p10505).

This gave me some IVTV-related errors.  I'm using the stable version of
IVTV (0.8), so I looked in the package's changelog and found that the
only version of mythtv that works with 0.8 is 0.20_p11281.  I therefore
installed that package and now everything works.

Thanks for the help to everyone who contributed to this thread!

Tom Purl