[mythtv-users] cannot open /dev/video0

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Nov 14 17:24:25 UTC 2006

On Nov 14, 2006, at 10:18 AM, Abigail Smith wrote:

> Sorry for this newbie question... I'm unable to get myth working.
> The box recognizes my hauppauge 350 but I still get the error
> "cannot open /dev/video0 to probe its inputs".
>
> Can someone give me some troubleshooting advice?  Where do I even
> start troubleshooting this?

You haven't given any info about your installation, like what distro,
how did you install it etc.

But you most likely have a permission problem. As a test you might
try changing the permission on /dev/video0 to 777, but assuming you
are using a udev system this will not survive a reboot.

You would need to change your udev rules/permissions and/or the group
the mythtv user is in to permanently correct this sort of problem.