[mythtv-users] mythvideo: Problems with filenames including square brackets [] --retransmission--

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 13 16:25:28 UTC 2006

On 11/13/2006 05:31 AM, Steven McClintoc wrote:
>  A few days ago I updated my mythtv (KnopMyth to be precise). When I open
>  mythvideo now I find the videos "unsorted" in the list view.
>
>  Well, actually they're not unsorted. They are just not sorted the way
>  I'd expect them to be. I've quite a lot of series I recorded from TV and
>  I got used to the following syntax for naming them:
>
>  <SERIES_NAME> - [<Season>x<Episode>] - <Name of Episode>.avi
>

>  For some reason everything in between the square brackets is removed.
>  Google advised me that this behaviour was intentional in order to be
>  able to cut out comments in filenames. Despite the fact that this
>  doesn't make much sense to me --- I had the same trouble with an earlier
>  release of mythtv (I believe it was 0.19, but I'm not sure).
>  But somehow I managed it to disable this
>  "filter-out-comments-in-square-bracket" feature in the older release in
>  order to get the files displayed and sorted the way I prefer.
>
>  Does anyone know exactly how to disable this or if this isn't possible
>  anymore in the recent releases?

You can always re-title the videos in MythVideo's database.  Note that
the "title" and the "filename" are distinct.  The "title" is an
auto-generated name that's created by parsing out "comments" (like
"[CD1]" or "[CD2]" from the filename and used /only/ for display in the
UI.  If the auto-generated title isn't what you want, change it.

The preferred approach is through the UI in the Video Manager.  If you
have a lot of videos, this may not be ideal.  And, not that I'm
recommending editing the database directly, you could always do:

UPDATE videometadata SET title = SUBSTRING_INDEX(filename, '/', -1);

Mike