[mythtv-users] Transcoding not working

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Mon Nov 13 15:21:08 UTC 2006

At 4:50 PM -0600 11/10/06, Robert Kulagowski wrote:
>Did you go in and configure your transcode profiles first?  I think
>this is fixed in SVN (or at least kicks out an error message)

I am using SVN 11678 and have a similar problem. I have only tried it
with things that are already in MPEG4 (already transcoded once from
MPEG2). I have the "Autodetect from RTjpeg/MPEG4" profile set to do
lossless transcoding, but both Autodetect and Default give me the
same "bad codec" error others are seeing.

Oddly, when I tell Myth to start transcoding, it doesn't allow me to
select "Autodetect from RTjpeg/MPEG4". But if I can transcode
manually from the commandline by supplying this profile's ID. Here's
a script I wrote to do just that:

#! /bin/sh
mythtranscode --infile $1 --outfile $1.tmp -p 21 -l && df $1.tmp &&
ls -l $1.tmp && mv -i $1.tmp $1

On a related question: Is there some way to configure things so that
any cut list present will be applied to the recording during the
automatic MPEG2->4 transcode? I want to reduce quality and apply the
cuts at the same time, rather than two separate transcodes.