[mythtv-users] nonlinear 16:9 stretch?

Ben Curtis mythtv at nosolutions.com
Sun Nov 12 17:23:11 UTC 2006

> I currently have my mythfrontend connected to a 30" 16:9 HDTV via s-video.
> I'd like to use the compontent inputs on the TV using a a VGA->component
> transcoder (Audio Authority 9A60) to get a higer resolultion GUI and better
> picture quality. The only concern I have is the 16:9 stretch mode that
> MythTV has.
>
> Currently I use the built in stretch mode on my TV to stretch 4:3 to 16:9.
> It does a nonlinear stretch so the edges of the picture are stretched more
> than the middle. Windows MCE has this feature too.
>
> Before I burn an evening mucking with a working X config, i'd like to know
> if MythTV do this also, or does it stretch the entire picture evenly?

I'd like to bring this thread back from the dead and see if anyone has
done any further research on it, as I think this would be a great feature
if anyones built a filter for it.

The full thread can be read here:

I've found a post in the Dev list as well regarding the subject:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/233885

Given todays processors, it seems like non-linear scaling of SD 4:3
content should be pretty feasible. Just curious as to if anyones made any
progress.

Thanks,
Ben