[mythtv-users] Multiple tuners and later showings

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sat Nov 11 19:00:06 UTC 2006

Justin Luitjens wrote:
> I have a 3 tuner setup and I'm having a scheduling problem.  I have a
> couple of shows that I record with the option "record anytime on any
> channel".  When one of these shows has reruns playing during the week
> and the original recording overlaps with another show it schedules it
> for a later showing even though there are still 2 free tuners to record
> on.  Shouldn't the scheduler record original recording and not schedule
> it for the later one because there are the free tuners?  If not is there
> a way to do this without adding an override while keeping the "record
> anytime on any channel" option?

They should record at the earliest time on an available input
unless there is a difference in priority. If you had used the
"Input priority" in mythtv-setup Input Connections, you would
see the behavior you describe.

Say show "A" is at 7pm and "B" is at 7 and 10. If there are
two card inputs for the same source and the input priority
is equal, A would record on card 1 at 7 and B on card 2 at 7.
If the input priority was higher for card 1, B would record
at 10pm when the 'better' card was available.

Channel priority can have the same effect. If The Simpsons is
on channel 5 and channel 33 with a higher channel priority for
channel 5, an episode on 33 may be marked as "L"ater if the
same episode is on the better channel at a later time.

--  bjm