[mythtv-users] ATI Remote Wonder as /dev/input/event2

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Nov 11 18:27:54 UTC 2006

On 11/11/2006 12:09 PM, Jameson wrote:
> I hate to bother you guys with this one, but I've searched far and
> wide, and either there's just something different about my system or
> the right answer just isn't out there.  Anyway, I have a Remote Wonder
> that is installed as /dev/input/event2.  Using evtest.pl, I've
> determined all of the keycodes.  I set them up in a file called
> .Xmodmap for all of the keys I want to program, like
>
> ! Power
> keycode 116  = Escape
>
> Then after running xmodmap .Xmodmap it returns no errors, but still
> none of the keys are recognized inside myth or out.  Does anybody have
> any idea what I can try, or somewhere to look for the answer besides
> aimlessly googling?  I read somewhere that xmodmap didn't work in KDE,
> so I tried setxkbmap, but couldn't figure it out.  I also tried
> setting one key with setkeycodes, but that didn't seem to make a
> difference either.

My only recommendation is to nix the atiusb usage (kernel keyboard
driver) and instead use the lirc_atiusb (remote) driver.  It's far more
flexible as you can choose a) whether to use the mouse control as a
mouse or as normal remote buttons (I chose the latter), b) button names
for buttons, c) mapping of buttons to functionality for multiple
different apps (i.e. mythtv, xine, mplayer, etc.).  With the keyboard
driver, you either have to patch the kernel module to re-assign keys,
use xmodmap (as you've tried) or something to remap the keys (which will
also affect normal keyboards), or remap the default key bindings in all
apps (including mythtv, xine, mplayer, ...) with which you want to use
the RW.

Just make sure you blacklist the atiusb module when setting it up.
Also, it works great.  :)

Mike