[mythtv-users] OT: Why 1080p?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 16:22:15 UTC 2006

On 11/10/06, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Steven Adeff wrote:

> > A display that "draws" half of each image per "line" refresh. Just
> > like the old NTSC days, but with pixels, and more information. A 1080p
> > display "draws" the *whole* image per refresh.
> >
> I think what he's asking is what's the difference between the physical
> display hardware.

Well, for fixed pixel displays, you can't do interlaced display, so
you won't find a 1080i LCD or Plasma display.
For CRT, it's basically whether the whole image is drawn to the screen
for each "pass" of the electron beam, or half the image, which
alternates like the old NTSC/PAL interlacing.
For rear projection, its basically the same idea as the CRT, except it
has to do with what image is displayed via the light from the bulb.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!