[mythtv-users] IVTV crop recording

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Nov 10 00:45:20 UTC 2006

On 11/09/2006 06:53 PM, Mike wrote:
> On 11/9/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> Overscan DVD playback, too, just like a normal NTSC TV would.
>>
> So you can increase overscan if you play the DVD in your mythtv
> machine, but the overscan is impossible to control on commercial DVD
> players (at least I think).  For example, if I take the DVD to a
> firends house and put in his normal DVD player the line is right there
> and nothing I can do about it.

Hmmm.  I've never seen the edges so large that a normal TV's overscan
didn't take care of them.  And, unless the DVD player is sending broken
signals or the TV has been "adjusted" to prevent some
overscanning--which is possible through many TV's service menus--normal
overscan should take care of normal-sized edges.

My PVR-x50's /hav/e been getting larger and larger edges as they age (I
get a nice 1" black bar at the top of my 67" TV because of one card), so
maybe yours have just progressed farther than mine.  I don't know if
there's a way to "tune" the image size on the cards (whether through
Windows drivers or ivtv), but you might want to check with the ivtv list.

You're not, by any chance, using 704x480 resolution on the DVD, are
you?  It's only meant for video with "clean" (i.e. "cut") edges.  You
should use 720x480 for Myth's analog recordings.

(Yeah, I haven't yet tested out MythArchive.  I just got it--and the
rest of Myth--compiled on my new HDTV system, and will play with it once
I finish the roll-out of the new system to replace my production NTSC
system.  (The plan was to do this before the season started--since I'm
behind schedule, roll-out is much more challenging.)  Therefore, I fully
admit this may be a stupid question if 704x480 isn't possible through
MythArchive.)

Mike