[mythtv-users] OT: Why 1080p?

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 00:20:01 UTC 2006

> > 1080p displays are the only ones that can display both 720p and 1080i
> > at their native resolutions.   Granted, I don't know of anyone who
> > uses their 1080p set to watch 720p content w/ black bars on 4 sides,
> > but it can be done if you don't like upscaling.
>
> And lets explicitly un-say it, since thats a load of crap.  1080p
> displays are the ones that have a display with a native resolution of
> 1920x1080 pixels.

And it is perfectly possible to display 720p content at its native
resolution on such a display.  Hook your myth box up to your 1080p
set,  navigate  to Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> Appearance and set the
GUI width to 1280 and the GUI height to 720.

Now, playback your favorite 720p content and enjoy it as its native resolution.

> 480p = 720x480    = 345600 pixels per frame,  @60hz = 20736000
> pixels/second = ~20mpixels/sec
> 720p = 1280x720   = 921600 pixels per frame,  @60hz = 55296000  = ~55mpixels/sec
> 1080i = 1920x540  = 1036800 pixels per field, @60hz = 62208000  = ~62mpixels/sec
> 1080p = 1920x1080 = 2073600 pixels per frame, @60hz = 124416000 =
> ~124mpixels/sec

Bitrate is not a definitive measure of video quality.  Information
that cannot be percieved by the human eye/brain doesn't add to
quality.

Consider a single pixel refreshed at a rate of 4Ghz, for a data rate
of 4000mpixels/sec.  Clearly, this resolution is superior to even
1080p60.  Yet, I find staring down the end of a fiber optic cable less
immersive than even a YouTube video.