[mythtv-users] Suggestions for HDTV system

Lincoln Dale ltd at interlink.com.au
Thu Nov 9 23:14:38 UTC 2006

> > >  * Dell E521 Athlon 64 3200+
> > >    nforce chipset with nvidia 6150LE graphics w/DVI
> > >
> > With the Dell E521 with built-in graphics, I am pretty sure you do not
> > get DVI... only VGA output.  You have to be very careful reading the
> > specs on the Dell site.  Most of their motherboards do not have built-in
> > DVI and you need a separate graphics card to get DVI.
>
> Astute observation, Nathan. I think you are correct, and Dell was
> being sneaky. Oh well. I will report back on the usefulness of this
> box for HD Myth.

i'd suggest you probably want something faster than a 3200+ system.  i run HD
here with a dual-core AMD X2 4200+ processor.  while my older combined
frontend+backend (AMD XP 2800+) _could_ do HD even without XvMC, the newer
system does it comfortably, seemingly regardless of what else is running on the
machine at the same time.  (i had a mplayer task that had seemingly run for
weeks on 99.9% cpu that i didn't even notice).

the price difference between (say) 3200+ and X2 4200+ is negligible on the
overall scheme of things, yet gives you significant breathing room for turning
on more advanced postprocessors etc.

cheers,

lincoln.