[mythtv-users] Recording Groups and Categories

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Nov 9 06:01:42 UTC 2006

Trey Thompson wrote:
> I'm trying to get things setup to keep the kids to their own shows.
>
> Basically, I've read about Recording Groups, and that appears to be
> the area that I'll use to get this setup.
>
> But, this creates some questions for me.  First off, I'm on FC5, Myth
> .20, atrpms, etc...  but that shouldn't matter with this question.
>
> 1.  I've got it set to ask for the group when you go into Watch
> Recordings, but it also shows Categories...  So, even if I get all the
> kids shows into "Kids", and I password protect "All Programs", then
> the kids can still choose things like "Action", etc... that are under
> the Categories area???
>
> 2.  Am I even understanding how this works correctly?  I should
> password protect All Programs (default so that everything's
> protected), and then put kids shows in another group?
>
> 3.  How do you "edit" the Recording Groups?  Or can you?
>
> 4.  When trying to "tag" recordings and change several at once, it is
> only doing it one at a time.  This is per
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html .  It says that you
> can use '/' to tag recordings, then change them all at once with I ,
> however when I do that, it only changes 1 at a time...?
>
> I've seen a bunch of posts, and even some info in the wiki, but this
> appears to be a little unclear.  Could someone that really, really
> knows it help us parents out?

While I don't password protect mine, what I do is use Recording Groups.
You can tag and modify multiple by using "M" after the tag and choosing
the playlist options.  I have my Watch Recordings prompt for the group
filter when entering (in the setup) so I can pick Kids or "My Shows",
etc.  I have it set to only show Recording Groups, no categories.  Other
than password protecting, it sounds like what you want to do.

Kevin