[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Edgy - amd64 - IVTV Firmware Unresponsive

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 20:51:52 UTC 2006

Michael,

Depending on where you installed the source to,
you probably have binaries sitting in /usr/local/bin for all ivtv binary
apps.  You probably have modules sitting in /lib/modules/2.6.17*.

Just as a personal pet peeve -

If you ever do an installation from source that would normally use make
install, use checkinstall instead.  Checkinstall notates everywhere that a
make file spits binaries across your system, and records this in the local
apt installed database list.  Basically, instead of

sudo make install

do a

sudo checkinstall

If you look in synaptic package manager, you will see the package you just
installed listed there and very easily uninstallable.  Also, if you ever do
a checkinstall for an app that is already on the system, be sure to remove
the packages for that app already there.  A good example is gaim.  When gaim
2.0 beta 4 got released, people posted checkinstall'd debs.  If you didn't
remove gaim, gaim-data and any plugins - things got very messy for lots of
people.

Hope that helps, and you help to alleviate this pet peeve :)

Mario