[mythtv-users] OT: Why 1080p?

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Wed Nov 8 17:37:49 UTC 2006

>> The order of HD video quality.  480p -->  1080i --> 720p --> 1080p

> A 1080i tv show scaled to 1080p has more pixels on the screen than a
> 720p show.  Yes, with extremely fast motion, you have a possible
> argument, but not with a +sitcom or a show displaying people that
> are moving at regular speed.

The way I look at it is this: 720p and 1080i both look absolutely
gorgeous for any type of content.  Interlacing, however, is an
artifact of the 30's and a huge pain in the ass.  It was a mistake to
include any type of interlacing apart from a single NTSC mode in the
ATSC spec.  They also could have used this as an opportunity to
eliminate the weird frame rates (24000/1001, 60000/1001).

However, we are stuck with all of this madness.

Mark