[mythtv-users] file system question

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 14:20:23 UTC 2006

On 11/8/06, Timothy Waters <timothy.waters at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just had what I thought was a good install on Fedora Core 5 with an 80GB
> drive and a 200GB drive. I had the /, boot, and swap on the 80, formatted
> with the defaults, and used the remainder of the space on the 80 and the
> whole 200 as one lvm volume formatted with XFS. One night it just died while
> recording a show. The pc locked up and would never boot correctly after. Is
> this fedora? Is this XFS crapping out on me? Should I use Fedora 6? Should I
> just go back to Gentoo? I tried knoppmyth and it had everything on hda and /
> partition was ext3. LAG LAG LAG. Was that ext3? Was that knoppmyth? It was
> hella smooth with XFS on fedora. What can I do for an easy setup that
> doesn't lag? I am thinking about trying Fedora 6, trying Knoppmyth with
> reiserfs, or going back to Gentoo and use Reiser4. I just want an "install,
> setup, and forget-it" system that doesn't lag. The difference with Fedora
> 5/XFS and knoppmyth/ext3 was VERY noticeable in regards to smooth video
> playback.

I have FC5 with ext3 boot/root partitions and XFS for my 'big' partitions.
I have FC5 on 3 different boxes at my house/home office and all
my boxes run 24/7.  I don't use LVM. I just use big partitions. One
of my FC5 boxes has 2TB of XFS partions. None of my boxes
ever lock up. ( they are all AMD64 - different speeds ) running x86_64
objects. The box I do my dvd burning causes me greif every once
in a while when I burn a dvd or rip a dvd. I have to force the dvd to
eject some times and reboot before it will work again... don't think
that is a FC5 issues... I get some weird i/o erros and dma errors.
I'm going to move the dvd to a different IDE channel and see if
it 'fixes' it.

jack