[mythtv-users] OT: Why 1080p?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 01:20:06 UTC 2006

On 11/8/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 11/07/2006 07:19 PM, Steve Hodge wrote:
> > Clearly 1080p60 is superior to 1080i60, I don't
> > see how you could believe otherwise. No matter how good your
> > deinterlace is, it's not going to be as good as having the extra
> > information in the first place.
>
> The assumption that there is additional information is a big assumption
> considering you haven't specified the source of the video.  Until you
> know the source format /and/ the transmission format, you can not say
> that 1080p60 has more information than 1080i60.

Right. We're talking generalities though - to say that 1080i60 has as
much information as 1080p60 is misleading at best, even though it
might be true for a given video source. You could also make the same
argument if the levels of compression were not the same.

In practice it's not always possible to find out what format the
source material is in, so it's probably best to say that 1080p60 might
well contain more information 1080i60 and even if it doesn't it's in a
more convenient format for extracting the original video.

Steve