[mythtv-users] OT: Why 1080p?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 20:22:01 UTC 2006

On 11/7/06, Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote:
> > Rich West wrote:
> >
> >> 1080p is not in the spec for broadcasts.
> >>

> > It is, at least in the US. See
> > http://www.atsc.org/standards/a_53e-with-Amend-1-and-2.pdf, page 28.
> >
> > Bolek
> OOoooooo.. That's new (Dated Sept 13th, 2006)!  *drool*  Now, that would
> be the mother of all HD broadcasts. :)
>
> (that PDF isn't easy to read!)

not if they use the low bitrates they do now... It really pisses me
off to watch NFL in HD on the 65" just to get annoyed with the huge
amount of compression artifacts. Its not as bad on my friends 50", but
its really noticeable at 65", then on top of that they do things like
CBS does with the overlays that seem like they just put them there to
make the MPEG compression chip go crazy.

ARGH.

Even ESPN does it. InHD and Discovery HD look pretty darn good though,
I'd love to get Discovery HD in 1080p

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!