[mythtv-users] OT: Why 1080p?

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Tue Nov 7 18:14:51 UTC 2006

1080p is not in the spec for broadcasts.  It was never considered, and
word is that you'll never see 1080p over regular broadcasts.  The
highest you will get via broadcast would be 1080i.

1080i is technically lesser quality than 720p.

HD-DVD supports up to 1080i, and Blueray supports up to 1080p.

If you use your Myth system for anything else (viewing Blueray DVDs,
playing games, etc), you will want the best resolution your set can
offer. :)

However, as you can guess.. a lot of the noise about 1080p is solely
about numbers ("If my TV can push 1080p, then I am going to display it
at that rate!" and "1080p is a lot more than 720p!") more so than about
what is actually being displayed.

-Rich