[mythtv-users] upgrading from 0.18 to 0.20[Scanned]

Dawson, Guy Guy.Dawson at eu.sony.com
Tue Nov 7 12:02:25 UTC 2006

> Hoping someone here can advise me on upgrading from 0.18 to
> 0.20. Been using mythtv for about the last 3 1/2 years, but
> recently have done less updating on my home system as it all
> works well and we use it every day.
> I have a 600GB raid 5 backend server in my basement with four
> freeview receivers in it ( two PCI hauppauge nova-t, one usb2
> nova-t and one
> usb1.1 nova-t ) and several frontends around the house, some
> running minimyth, some wireless and some wired on cat5. As
> there have been pretty major changes, particularly in DVB-T
> which we use exclusively, I've held off upgrading as
> everything was working ok. I now find myself two major
> versions behind, with a pretty major task to upgrade everything.
>
> It's now got to the stage I would like to go straight up to
> 0.20 fixes, and have it all compiled and ready to roll. Just
> wanted to know if anyone using DVB-T in the UK can confirm if
> it all works ok, and let me know any issues to watch out for
> before upgrading. I seem to remember some discussion about
> myth protocol versus network mounted filesystems ?
> There was also some issues with tuning timing on nova-t's if
> I remember correctly, with a configuration setting in the
> setup screen ?
>
> As I said I haven't been closely following the users list for
> a while, so I hope someone can give me some guidance here.

Since you Myth system looks to be pretty mission critical,  I would
strongly recommend that you set up a free standing machine with the
recipe you intend to use.  That way you can pick up any problems, and
preview any changes without grief from the user base.

I'm  in a similar place,  having had problems with 0.19 when it first
appearred.  I stuck with 0.18 on FC3 and I am now dreading the upgrade
that I'm sure I'll eventually have to do!

My plan is to free up the my original box to build a latest & greatest
standalone system,  so at least I'll be prepared, and won't lose the
live system till I'm sure of what will happen.

Guy

The information contained in this message or any of its attachments may be confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s).  Any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited without the express permission of the sender.  The views expressed in this email are those of the individual and not necessarily those of Sony or Sony affiliated companies.  Sony email is for business use only.

This email and any response may be monitored by Sony to be in compliance with Sony’s global policies and standards