[mythtv-users] Multiple boxes on different networks

Lucas James Lucas.James at ldjcs.com.au
Mon Nov 6 04:07:18 UTC 2006

On Monday 06 November 2006 13:46, Jawaad Ahmad wrote:
> Hi,

G'Day,

> Before I post details on my current setup, I was wondering if anyone could
> point me toward resources describing how to set up frontends and backends
> on different boxes, where the boxes are on different networks.

Can't comment, as I don't run in this configuration

>             [ ] 192.168.1.1
>
>     +--------+---------+
>
>     |                  |  192.168.1.3
>
>    [ ] 192.168.1.2    [ ] 192.168.0.1
>
>               +--------+---------+
>
>              [ ]                [ ] 192.168.0.2
>
> I have already forwarded the MySQL port and the mythbackend ports (3306,
> 6543, and 6544) on the router [192.168.0.1] to forward to 192.168.0.2. At
> no point should there be any communication past router [192.168.1.1].

I'm assuming you are using NAT.  If this is an internal network, you shouldn't
need to use NAT or a firewall.  It would be much easier if you set the
different subnets (192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.0.0/24), and just route all
traffic between them. (it would also allow you to see if the router is
working correctly.).  If you are worried about any extra communications, put
a firewall in later (once everything is working).

Also, make sure your subnet masks are correct. the 192.168.0.0 is usually
a /16, and if you don't set it to /24, your packets won't get routed
properly.

Make sure that each host knows where the router for the other network is
(192.168.0.1/192.168.1.3)

> In addition, I ran mythtv-setup on 192.168.0.2 and set both IP addresses
> (host IP and master backend IP) to 192.168.1.3. If I did not do this, host
> 192.168.1.2 would try to access 192.168.0.2 using the "192.168.0.2" IP
> address, which caused problems. Changing these IP addresses did not seem to
> break anything on 192.168.0.2.

If you are using NAT, then it will go out over the wire to 192.168.0.1, and
then be mangled back to 192.168.0.2.  Yes, it'll work, but horribly
inefficient.

If you switch off NAT, then you don't need to "lie" about the addresses.

> As I stated before, right now, I'm only looking for pointers/advice/gotchas
> that someone knows about. If anyone is familiar with this and is interested
> in more information, I can try to provide detailed messages.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

No worries.

Lucas

--
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is
a delight to moralists.  That is why they invented hell.