[mythtv-users] Bay Area antenna tuning [was Re: OT - Antenna tuning/aiming]

Robert Tsai mythtv at tsaiberspace.net
Sun Nov 5 20:28:19 UTC 2006

On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 11:47:06AM -0800, Joe Votour wrote:

> >> Where are you located? I'm south of Hwy85/Hwy17
> >
> > I'm in the southern part of SF between Glen Park and Excelsior.
> > I'm south of Diamond Heights, so I don't think the hill is getting
> > in the way. I suspect KNTV's broadcast signal just sucks. It's
> > worse in the fog (I live right on the edge of the fog, so some
> > days I get it better than others). We're heading into rainy season
> > now so I'll see if that has any effect.
>
> I'm in Fremont,and have no problems with KNTV.  My problem is mainly
> with KPIX/CBS (5.1) and KGO/ABC (7.x).
>
> I find that where I am, everything except for FOX (KTVU) is
> basically hit or miss (luckily more hit than miss).  Granted, I have
> some trees in front of my apartment (but the antenna is high up, I
> live on the second story).
>
> One thing to consider is that if you believe antennaweb.org, KNTV is
> not actually UHF, it is VHF.  That might have something to do with
> it.
>
> I'm using a SquareShooter 2000 pointed in a direction that is
> roughly towards the Sutro Tower and Mt. San Bruno and receive most
> of those channels quite well.

I have a similar problem in that a single antenna cannot receive all
stations.

If you can get yourself a second tuner and antenna, it should help. I
currently have two PCHDTV cards, each with their own $20 Radio Shack
indoor antenna oriented in their own way. Between the two of them, I
can receive all the stations that matter.

Splitting the difference between everyone else who's written about
this, I'm in the middle of the Peninsula :).

--Rob