[mythtv-users] mythbackend unexpectedly quits - Undefined Symbol Error

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 5 05:18:56 UTC 2006

On 11/04/2006 08:18 PM, Brian Beaty wrote:
> I've got a problem with mythbackend quitting, I suspect whenever it
> tries to access a saved recording. mythbackend will start up without
> errors, and I can watch live tv (for short periods of time), but if I
> try to access a saved recording, or shortly after a recording starts
> or live tv starts, mythbackend will quit (not segfault or crash). The
> last line in the log file is always
>
> /usr/mythtv/bin/mythbackend: symbol lookup error: /usr/mythtv/bin/
> mythbackend: undefined symbol:
> _ZNK11ProgramInfo17GetRecordFilenameERK7QString
>
> It first started with the yum packaged install available from ATrpms,
> then I downloaded the 0.20 source dated 9/11 and compiled my own
> version
Your libraries and binaries don't match up.  You probably have parts of
the ATrpms and part of the self-compiled MythTV on the system and in
use.  Best bet is to clean off everything MythTV (from /usr and from
/usr/local) and then install with one approach or the other.
>  (compiled fine, although the front end with that source
> speaks v31, and the backend still only speaks v30).
That's a problem, too.  Fix it--upgrade the backend.  (It's not causing
this issue, but will cause other issues.)

Mike