[mythtv-users] HD Homerun won't lock on some QAM channels

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 5 04:45:03 UTC 2006

> On 11/4/06, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 20:47 -0700, John P Poet wrote:
>> > 2006-11-04 19:42:39.313 Program Map Table ver(1) pid(0x30) pnum(1)
>> > len(90)
>> >   Conditional Access: sid(0x4749) pid(0x30) data_size(0)
>>
>> It's encrypted :(
>
> But it is not.  Both my HDTV and VLC will show it just fine.

In my work (where I've received MPEG-2 multiplexes from European
countries), I've seen cases where MPEG-2 streams are marked as encrypted
(with a conditional access PID specified) where there really isn't any
encryption.

This unfortunately is the fault of the creator/rebroadcaster of the stream
(when they multiplex it from their receiver).  You can see it on your HDTV
and in VLC (via the HDHomeRun), because neither of those devices look at
the flag (though I'd argue the HDTV should, but that's a different story).

I'm sorry it doesn't help you out, but it just goes to show that sometimes
the actual MPEG streams are mucked up.

-- Joe

Signup at www.doteasy.com