[mythtv-users] Myth vs. Sage vs. Beyond

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Nov 4 22:28:36 UTC 2006

On Nov 4, 2006, at 1:59 PM, Ed Gatzke wrote:

> Myth does PiP, quite well in fact.
>
> Uh, no, no it does not.  I can't get SD and HD aspect ratios
> correct, HD is too wide and SD is too squished when in a window.
> Plus my frontend crashes when I PIP two SD images.  And I can't
> adjust the size or specific location of the PIP.  Or PIP recorded
> shows. Or sisde by side PIP with standard myth.  So no, it does not
> do it very well.

Well my Myth 0.19 SD system does every PiP function that I need. I
can change the window location, never had a crash. I can only do HD
using my TV set, but it can do PiP with SD and HD and also side-by-
side, so between the set and Myth I get anything I could want.

If PiP is not working for you with SD only then something is wrong.

> Blame the Americans!  Dirty dirty americans!  Why do you sell me
> stuff so cheap?  To enslave the world HA HA HA </evil laugh>

I think that would be Walmart you are speaking of.

> It may well be the case that the tuner modules used in earlier
> versions of the cards are not even available any longer.
>
> It is probably cost.

Perhaps. Plextor uses a Sony tuner that works great, probably one
reason Plextor has never been the low-cost leader :-)

> The IVTV guys have copies of the tech specs they won't share with
> others.  They got a marginally decent driver working, but have not
> tweaked it to get a good pictures.

If they are not sharing them it's probably due to an NDA, likely the
only way they could get them.

> I think they use standard components, so any idiot could knock off
> a copy if they wanted.  This is not a super secret high-tech GPU
> with custom components, I think all the stuff is standard.
>
> Blame the americans twice!  Dirty americans. dirty dirty.  I fart
> in your general direction!

Ah, somebody who knows that Python is not just an interpreted
scripting language.

> I am still not so sure Hauppauge is US based.  They could be
> German.  If anyone knows evil, it would be the deutschers...

They are based in and named after the town on Long Island of the same
name. The place where the original HBO uplink used to be (and
probably still is).

Don't know who actually owns the company though, probably the Chinese
the way things are going.