[mythtv-users] Myth vs. Sage vs. Beyond

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 4 20:53:50 UTC 2006

<snip>

> Bad drivers for the hardware means a crappy experience for the users.

This is a problem under Windows as well, where when I tried the DViCo
Fusion HDTV USB device, I could get the PC to reboot just by doing an ATSC
channel scan.

Device support is better under Windows than Linux, because the hardware
makers actually develop drivers and have the specifications.  If we had
the specifications, then we'd be able to make better drivers.

> I am not complaining about Myth, I love the flexibility and power.
>
> My main problem is with the idiots at Haupppage that release a
> significantly
> different card under the same model number.  If it is not software
> compatable, it should be a new product.

This is typical of many companies that make products, sadly to say.  One
company that I worked for removed an EEPROM chip (cost 80 cents in a $30
product) and I wrote a translation layer to use a portion of the flash
chip to save that data.  It required that the product not have a code load
before a certain version.  Same model number because our target audience
would not buy the product under a new name/model number.

A couple of years later, due to a lawsuit against the supplier of one of
our chips, we had to change that chip out.  New software required again,
couldn't downgrade before a certain version again.  Still, no change in
the model number/name.

Unfortunately, this happens all the time.  (BTW, this was a stand-alone
product, not a card for a PC.  But, our primary audience preferred to keep
all of their devices running the same firmware.)

> But I do have complaints about myth.  It is a pain to setup.  I bet the
> commerical products hold your hand.  Even knoppix took me a few nights
> working to get a usable box.  The install/setup could be significantly
> improved, even on knoppmyth.
>
> I just thought maybe someone that has run both MythTV and Sage/beyond
> could
> compare /contrast the two, and I saw at least one useful post so far.

I've run most of them in trial phases every now and then, just to see if
the commercial ones are any better than MythTV.  Every time, I end up
sticking with MythTV.

The commercial ones have setup "wizards" that let you pick your card and
scan for channels, and do other things (and mythtv-setup is very close in
this respect).  But otherwise, they're not really that much better (except
in the video output department, where they use the advanced rendering
abilities of Windows codecs), and Daniel K. (and others?) is/are working
on OpenGL-based rendering, which I think will rock.  But, you're still
left on your own to get the OS installed and get the drivers for all of
your hardware working.  They can't help you with that.

My advice to you is to try the demo versions of some of the commercial
products.  Make an image of your MythTV system (or use a second PC) and
install them.  They may work better for you, or they may not.

-- Joe

Signup at www.doteasy.com